Hello and welcome to our Décor Outline of open living room to dining room design ideas. Below you will find a summary of the benefits, main options, and some design ideas we handpicked for you along with beautiful photos. Enjoy!
What are the benefits of having an open living room to dining room?
- Larger space – no walls dividing the two rooms can make the house’s interior look and feel more spacious
- Easy entertaining – lets you entertain guests that are either in the living or dining room
- Brighter rooms – allows for more natural light coming from windows in the living and dining rooms
What are the main options for open living rooms to dining rooms?
- Floor Plan: step-down living room, open to dining room and outdoor areas (patio, balcony, garden, pool area)
- Layout: arch between rooms, seating furniture placement (parallel, adjacent, square, diagonal)
- Focal Point: fireplace, coffee table, accent chair, glass window wall, accent wall, ceiling (vaulted, beamed, beadboard, planked)
- Tie-Ins: centered pendant lights, area rug (large single rug for both areas, identical), matching lighting fixture, center columns
- Lighting: recessed, chandelier, pendant lights, spotlight bars, wall sconces, lamp shades, skylight
- Flooring: marble (with or without inlay), porcelain, travertine, wood
What follows are beautiful photos of open living room to dining room design ideas along with design ideas we thought may be of interest to you. If you want even more dining room and living room ideas, try Beautiful Dining Room Ideas, Open-Concept Living Room Designs, Small Living Room Designs and Professionally Designed Living Rooms. Enjoy and happy home decorating!
1. Oversized Lanterns
Points of Interest ● slate accent wall with large open fireplace ● olive green sofa with tassel ● 2 large framed vintage posters on beige white planked wall ● double X-back dining chairs with rolled armrest ● oversized glass lantern pendant lights
2. Lakeside Living
Points of Interest ● gray tufted curved back armchair ● 19th century inspired French country farmhouse table ● 4 French metal bistro chairs ● black steel center out-swing muntin windows with lake view ● off-white sliding barn door
3. Second Level Balcony
Points of Interest ● camel back ivory dining chairs with nailhead trim ● slim cream upper cabinet doors ● sloped beadboard ceiling with skylight and exposed beams ● large beige area rug covering living and dining rooms
4. Marble Wall
Points of Interest ● matching ivory club sofa and fireplace seating ● large open fireplace with herringbone tiled interior walls ● honed marble wall with art niche and square wall sconces ● folding glass doors to pool area
5. Warm Penthouse Style
Points of Interest ● soapstone faced fireplace with fluted corbels ● dark espresso leather bench doubling as coffee table ● wooden side table with barley twist legs ● curved back dining chairs ● mustard yellow crown molding and ceiling panel
6. Ocean View
Points of Interest ● window wall with ocean view ● turquoise beaded chandelier over long wood dining table ● Palisade twin motor ceiling fan ● gray sideboard with hexagon accent on cabinet doors ● diamond pattern hand woven jute rugs
7. Artist’s Haven
Points of Interest ● stamp print green rug ● framed watercolor paintings on white wall ● oak dining table with brown leather strap side dining chairs ● mid-century modern 3-arm black floor lamp